View Single Post
Old 26-07-2016, 21:40   #90
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media will launch a new set-top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
I'm not convinced a cloud based box will ever be allowed to replace a conventional PVR for broadcast TV. People have talked about it for years but rights issues get in the way. We already have catch up. The added benefit of a PVR is you can watch at any time in the future. But providers of boxed sets, after the catch up window, have to pay for separate rights. Virgin would need to pay for those rights for all shows broadcast on all is channels! A cloud based PVR that only kept shows during the catch up window is not a sufficient replacement.
I agree and have said the same myself, I don't know how VM would get around the rights issue for cloud based services.

But as I said either in this thread or elsewhere, it was something that one of VM's bosses said that got me suspicious into thinking that VM will launch a new box and call it a pvr yet the "recordings" will actually just be links to VM's on demand services.

Yes, I know this is unlikely as it would mean VM would have to have everything on their VOD servers, I am just suspicious (as always) about what they might do.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I always use TiVo for what it was designed for - recording. No need for on demand or catchup.😇
I would love to use it to record what I want, except it filled up within five minutes.... and shortly afterwards it became slow and sluggish and awful to use ever since.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If the new Tivo's recordings are cloud based won't trying to watch your recordings be problematic for those like Mad Max who already suffer with contention in their areas ? Or will the boxes be a mix of cloud and local ?
THis is what concerns me with cloud based services, its only as good as your connection and contention in your own area.