View Single Post
Old 29-10-2009, 23:36   #15
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of
Re: Windows 7 TCP/IP tweaks - Tune your internet connection

If it gives you trouble, try isolating the setting that fails for you. It may be that your router is not ECN capable (but the test should have confirmed his). Basically, to revert you can adjust the settings to whatever suits.

If ECN is what causes the problems, you'll still want to change your congestion provider. Likewise the other way around.

If DCA is the issue I'd like to hear about it. This is a rather new area. It shouldn't affect anything unless your hardware supports it (I can find no check you can do for this and information is light). If it works with your hardware you should have data transfer between network card and CPU cache memory without passing through ram first. If not you should see no effect. If it causes trouble, it would be worth hearing about it.

So, feedback on what breaks your connection, and the type of connection you have (Virgin Cable or ADSL) plus any usual difficulties you have with it would be useful.

Basically, my settings are what one would want to achieve (DCA experiments not withstanding, rather new that setting) and if they can't be used it may be worth trying to find out why.

I'm also interested in hearing what happens if Comodo is switched off as I don't have that and it could be a factor.

Oh, and ta Buckleb for adding the original settings for those who didn't take note before applying any changes. Perhaps I should have thought to mention, such is second nature to me so I didn't think beyond providing a mechanism for checking.

Note that some things change these settings, such as my adding a Vodafone 3G stick as a backup. Installing the drivers turned on Timestamping, which might be handy for a specific 3G machine but really should be off for a normal home PC on ADSL or Cable as a main connection. Possibly it would be handy for a poor wireless connection, but I'd rather just improve the connection.

Oh, and Matty, what's your router?

Addition: Auto tuning level is usually best set to normal, but Windows can change this if it feels the network conditions warrant it. Vista tends to shift to Highly Restricted for this setting on occasion. I suspect due to boot up choices whilst things are getting it together and being dead laggy (such is a Vista boot). You need to check if your connection suddenly goes slow because this is often the issue, though some routers seem to cause it more than others. Win7 appears to be less judgemental, and I've not seen this over sensative behaviour from it so far. A nice improvment.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote