View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36   #784
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Corbyn's kerfuffle

There are definitely some credible alternatives to Corbyn, the problem is all of them know damn well how another leadership election would go down and none of them want a failed leadership challenge on their CV.

Current party rules put the power squarely in the hands of a very broad membership base that has been infiltrated with a large number of people who see Labour as a handy vehicle for pushing the ideas of the hard left. There aren't enough of them to keep Corbyn in power forever, but there are enough of them to keep him in power until almost everyone else in the party unites behind an alternative. Until that day comes, none of Labour's "big hitters" are going to make a move.

That day, I'd say, will come either in early 2019 or late in 2020. I don't believe there is anything Corbyn can do to endear himself to the British electorate and the 2020 election is the Tories to lose as things stand. If they make a complete disaster of Brexit (by which I mean, a genuine, actual disaster, not merely a continuing stream of BBC/Guardian opinion pieces predicting disaster is just around the corner), then Corbyn could do reasonably well in the polls going into the election, and avoid the alternative, which is that in early 2019 his party finally reads the writing on the wall and removes him in an attempt to avoid a wipeout.