View Single Post
Old 30-09-2016, 15:43   #154
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
The law is a mess. Look at how debates on belief disintegrate even on the fairly polite forum here. There are people here of opposing beliefs and with this law simply stating that can be construed as being against another belief. Where is the line between discussion/debate and "hate" crime?

And then what if your belief system includes something against on of the other factors in the list (I'm deliberately trying to keep this general and non specific).

To my mind there is a difference between being against "the belief" and being against "the person". Again the line is hard to define though where that opposition becomes "hateful".

And then there is the problem that some groups deliberately set up to "test" the system and claim "hate" crime.
You make some very good points tweetiepooh.

I guess an internet discussion becomes a hate crime once polite debates have become vehicles for personal attacks or insults.

People with opposing views should be able to discuss matters without resorting to this.

It is true that political correctness can throw up conflicts. I've attended conferences where people have caught themselves up in knots.

For example, the biggie seems to be racism, with sexism, ableism etc lower down in the hierarchy.

Some delegates were supporting the right of others to live their lives according to traditional cultures, however, this involved men making their wives walk behind them as an act of deference.

The feminists, quite rightly in my view, objected to this most strongly.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote