View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 19:46   #15
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: "Cannot communicate with primary dns"

I will say that this issue probably has nothing to do with Virgin.

If your equipment connected to you router has a DNS entry that matches the router address, then it looks like the DNS service on your router is not running.

When something connected to your network requests a network resource by URL, it query the DNS server's it knows about(ie your router), your router in turn will have a DNS cache, if the IP/URL required is not in it's cache it will then forward a request to the DNS servers that it has been told about, these will be the addresses I have mentioned further up this post.

If Virgin have changed their service somehow and your router can't talk to their DNS server's, you would get 404(page not found) etc, you wouldn't get DNS failure messages, this is because the router will still be responding to you, but the answer from it would be that it cannot resolve the address for you.

Virgin cannot produce the error you are getting, the error relates to your internal network, i'm pretty sure of that.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote