Thread: TiVo Beware VM help
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2012, 20:17   #1
Fred Fish
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP
Fred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really niceFred Fish is just really nice
Beware VM help

Hi all

I recently upgraded to a tivo system and as part of the deal it was agree that I could relocate my V+ box upstairs. This was really important to me as I had many hours of recordings that I wanted to keep.

So - really happy with the tivo system (getting used to its quirks and all that!) but the V+ box that was relocated to upstairs worked fine for general use but the + facilities (pausing and accessing my old recordings) didnt work. So I contacted VM help. The first lady I spoke to wasnt sure what was happening but said she would send some signals down my line to resolve my issues. She did this - trouble is not only did it not resolve my problem the moment she sent the signal down the line my tivo service stoppes saying that I had an invalid card. At this pint the lady I was talking to was obviously out of her depth so said she would have to refer me to someone in the technical department.

And what was the solution suggested by the technical dept.? That I would have to reformat the v+ box. I pointed out that the only thing that had happened was that the box had been moved from downstairs to upstairs, but no I was told it must be to do with the box anf the only thing to do was to reformat. I said I wasnt prepared to do that as there we 80+ hours of recordings I didnt want to lose. And any way the fact was that the tivo had also stopped working!!

At this point I was passed on to the tivo suppor team and the lady I spoke to there at least could see why I didnt want to just format my HD. So she had a look and it transpires that when the first person tried to resolve my V+ problems she got the cards wrong and as a result my tivo card thought it was connected to a V+ and visa-versa. This person reset all of that and as a result my tivo now works as does my V+.

So yes happy outcome.

My point is that if I had followed the first persons advice and reformatted the HD I would have lost all my recordings and the system still wouldnt be working!!
Why cant VM get people who know what they are talking about to man their help lines.....

The last person I spoke to was execellent - but if I had followed the advice of the firat 2 people I would have lost many, many hours of recordings.
Fred Fish is offline   Reply With Quote