Old 16-10-2011, 01:12   #154
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: BoxNation on Virgin Media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Well that's the second live British broadcast from Box Nation, Appleby Vs. Walsh being the first, and yet again we have been delivered with a British fight of the year contender.... well it'll be in the top 5 anyway.

I have to say that I'm disgusted that this fight, and Box Nation isn't on Virgin yet. I don't care who's to blame, just get it sorted. Boxing is not a niche sport and this is not a niche channel. Here's some viewing figures to give you an idea of where boxing actually stands in the world of televised sport.

BOXING

Tyson Fury Vs. Dereck Chisora - Channel 5 2011 - 3,000,000 viewers

Amir Khan Vs. David Bailey - ITV 2005 - 6,300,000 viewers

Danny Williams Vs. Audley Harrison - ITV 2008 - 8,000,000 viewers

OTHER SPORT

Andy Murray Vs. Ivan Ljubicic Wimbledon - BBC 2011 - 8,800,000 viewers

Man City Vs. Stoke FA Cup Final - ITV 2011 - 8,100,000 viewers

Barcelona Vs. Manchester United Champions League Final - ITV 2011 - 11,100,000 viewers

England Vs. Wales 6 Nations - BBC 2011 - 8,200,000 viewers

Formula 1 (Average figures for whole season) - BBC 2011 - 5,800,000

Now you'll see that boxing fairs reasonably well however please remember the viewing figures I've provided aren't for major fights. They are domestic level only. Imagine what Cleverly Vs. Bellew would have attracted on ITV Saturday Night primetime if promoted properly.

Virgin have 4,000,000 TV customers. Here's a little fact for you, the average UK household has 2.5 occupants which means Virgin TV services actually reach roughly, very roughly, 10,000,000 people. That's 10,000,000 people being denied the opportunity to watch Box Nation. Sure in reality 10,000,000 wouldn't have watched the action, but we'll never know until the channel arrives.

So whatever the problem is between Virgin and BoxNation please resolve it ASAP. British sports fans are being deprived of one of the most popular sports on TV. I'll tell you what, there would be murder if this was another sport. Remember the disgust and outrage when that online streaming company purchased the rights to Ukraine Vs. England? When people realised the game wouldn't be on SKY, or terrestrial TV, they went mental. The story actually made the news and the front page of some newspapers. The Box Nation situation with Virgin to me is the same as Ukraine Vs. England.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

For anyone that's still awake, it looks like Bernard Hopkins Vs. Chad Dawson will be streamed at BoxNation too:

http://boxnation.tv/live.php

I think the show starts at 1am however the main event won't be on until about 3:30am.
But all those viewing figures are for free to view fights, pay per view figures(which is what box nation will be in a few weeks) are far short of those. The amir Khan world championship fight on sky box office was 30,000 viewers, and one of the reasons sky have stopped doing pay per view boxing. Actually Frank Warren says its 100,000 so its definitely between 30,000 and 100,000 http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=1215

So I'm sorry Chad, as I love boxing, it is a minority sport. Much that I would like Virgin to carry it, as long as it was free

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote