View Single Post
Old 25-10-2017, 17:45   #466
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban (2040).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
We have a Tesla owner up the street. It is an awesome car, although it is scary as a pedestrian because when you are crossing the road, you cannot hear it (I know I will still see it, but I never realized how much I relied on my ears). I think the owner owns a company where he does a *lot* of motorway travel, and apparently the Tesla does work out cheaper, although you have to factor in the charge time. He has installed a Tesla home charging station on his drive, which means if he leaves the car plugged in over night, it will be fully charged the next morning.
Hearing is unique amongst our senses since it's operational all the time and working away in the background telling us so much about our surroundings without any need for us to think about it. Those of us lucky enough to be able to hear do take it very much for granted.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They should force them to play the Jaws theme if they're going under 10mph
I'm sure there'll sooner or later be a law which requires electric vehicles to emit a certain amount of 'noise'.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

It'll be interesting to see the longevity of such vehicles in the real world and how this will impact on the longer term cost of ownership i.e. batteries, electric motors, inverters etc. Will it ever be realistic for people on low incomes to own and run electric vehicles in the same way they can cheap old cars today? If not then the move towards all electric is going to have a similar effect on society as the cost of housing has. The rich and middle classes will have their choice but the poor might well be deprived of their mobility.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote