View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 22:01   #5
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Why so few Live TV options ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Take it from someone who's been using the software for nigh on 15 years when it was named XBMP, Kodi is not the answer for most people unless you're pretty IT literate.

Don't believe the hype, what your "fully loaded" box seller hasn't told you is that they opened that factory delivered box and installed Kodi and the mostly crap addons it came with.
Kodi isn't sandboxed so unless you're willing to take the chance on having your network and accounts compromised people should leave the wizards, builds, fully loaded boxes well alone.

The third party Kodi addon scene has become the wild west in the last few years, as well as the previously mentioned compromises your IP could well be being reported somewhere.
If anyone has been foolish enough to subscribe to a Kodi addon be aware you have shared your payment details with a criminal enterprise.

I personally wouldn't install any repo not approved by the XBMC Foundation and would only install an addon not from the official repo after I'd gone through its Python code.
If people must install these addons I'd advise to only ever install from a zip file and not from its repo.

Oh and before I get off my high horse I'd say ALL Kodi addons break (usually when you most want to use it) and as they are being maintained on the whole by someone in their spare time you could have a bit of a wait for it to be fixed.
Great post and a true reflection of the experiences everyone I know with a "loaded box" has had over the past 36 months.

Totally unreliable. Usually works for a period after purchase then stops. Reading forums and watching videos on Youtube will only get you so far in terms of trying to fix your issues. If you're IT minded or a wiz with tech I'm sure these are just little bumps that can be ironed out. For your general punter who has bought it on the promise of free football and movies, once it goes South it's game over.

There was a real boom in these boxes in my area about 2 years ago. Now you hardly hear of them. It's a small town. Once word gets out they're a waste of money then demand stops.

I've never had one. Got sick of trying to watch other peoples. Streams freezing, breaking up or going offline. I've not got time for that. Far too frustrating.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote