View Single Post
Old 21-01-2015, 00:58   #27
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

I'd be very surprised if the DVD sales of Ashes to Ashes went into the BBC's coffers rather than Murdoch who is the owner of the show. The BBC may well have put up the dosh to commission it and show it on their channel initially, but they do not own it and are not the distributor. They pay for first run rights and that's it.

Regarding new shows like the next Lost, excuse the pun here, but I think you're thinking linear here.

Imagine a sci-fi portal with hundreds of millions of subscribers/viewers. They could easily fund big budget shows. Say if the site was charging a fee similar to Netflix, the site might directly fund shows if there was enough votes cast. I think the funding could come come via several different methods, but I'd imagine the old billionaire codgers who run the big media companies/studios will still be in control for some time yet.

Edit: Just had a look who does deal with the DVDs for Ashes to Ashes and its neither the BBC or Murdoch, but a company called Entertainment One whom I've never heard of until now.