View Single Post
Old 20-09-2011, 15:12   #1
Kizza
Inactive

Kizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Ugly exterior cable installation

Our block of flats was the only one on our street not connected to Virgin fibre optic, so we requested a communal connection.

18 months later the work has just been completed, but the final cabling was done while I was on holiday (and no, I didn't know when they were doing the work, they just turn up randomly).

The problem is, our building is an attractive Georgian mansion, painted white, converted into flats, and all the cables are black. They run up the front of the building and horizontally across the front, sides and rear. Added to this, to the side of a window ledge to each flat is a large coil of black wire, 6 inches in diameter, which I assume is excess wiring that would run into the flat should anyone sign up to Virgin.

It looks horrendous. Do they not have white cables? Has no-one ever complained before about thick black cables running all over the outside of the building?

Plus, we're in a conservation area, so I supect we're breaking some kind of law or bylaw. Even if we're not, it look terrible..

The other residents agree and want it removed or replaced with white cables.

I called customer support and got some confused bloke in India who said he'd pass my number to the installation team. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I intend to ask for either white cables or for it to be removed.

I'd be interested in anyone else's opinion or advice on this. Is this normal installation practice?!

Oh and in the meantime, BT Infinity has arrived in our street, which is cheaper and hopefully can just be run to my ground floor flat without destroying the image of the building.

Thanks.