Thread: VOD Are TV apps failing?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 13:51   #41
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Are TV apps failing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I have never once used any of the smart TV apps or features on my TV.

I can access all I need on my laptop/Xbox One and tablet/phone. All AV equipment routed through my AV amp anyway so no use for smart TV stuff.
I'm pretty much the same. I have a Tivo, Xbox ONE s and smart TV. I also have a smart phone and tablet. The apps I use are mainly on the mobile devices. I do use iPlayer and Youtube on the Tivo. The only app I used to use regularly on the smart TV was Netflix, as I have a 4K HDR TV, and that was the only version I had that supported 4K..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It looks like you're right SP. They appear to be gradually removing apps instead of updating them from what others have posted.

If this is to be the norm, i'm beginning to lose my enthusiasm for Smart TV's as a cheap box/stick may be a better option.
The problem is, from the software provider's point of view, it costs them money to continue development for each version. Even if they develop a common version for different platforms, requiring some sort of runtime or framework to run it (as the BBC apparently does with iPlayer), they still require people to develop and test the updates required.

The likes of Spotify, Netflix et al will carry on developing for different platforms if it can be proved they will make enough money.

I think part of the problem is app-fatigue. I think most users are probably getting tired of apps popping up on different platforms, and assuming they use them at all, they tend to stick to one or two devices, ignoring the apps available on other devices..

Last edited by Stuart; 03-09-2018 at 13:54.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote