View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 13:19   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
How Overworked are the Installers?

Firstly this is not a rant thread, I have nothing but praise for the installer who came to my house Saturday Evening to upgrade me to TiVo and 50meg. I say evening because he arrived at about 5:45pm.

Although it should have been a straight swap over of kit, he encountered a few issues:
The V+ box that was supposed to have gone to my bedroom ( allowing the old ntl Samsung STB to retire), throwing in the towel, so he ended up replacing that too.
The VM systems were down. After a load of phone calls he had been able to confirm the TiVo and superhub were all lined to the account, but they couldn't connect to the network whilst some server somewhere was out. He reluctantly noted on his pda thing that the job was incomplete, but suggesting that sometime in the next 24 hours the boxes should connect automatically. About 9:30pm they did come back online.
He finally left me around 6:45pm.

His timetabled shift should have finished at 4:00pm. I suspect there are many who would have got to that time and said they were clocking off leaving a customer or two stranded. I'm pleased my guy didn't do that.

The real issue has to be why VM are allocating a stupid level of work to their guys. It sound that it was only because my chap had been around the block that he could have a hope of achieving it, and even then it was only possible with overtime.

Apparently the guys should normally do a task list of installs, or a task list of faults. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it was perhaps 10 jobs a day? My guy had been allocated a full list of repairs and a full list of installs, something like 16+ jobs I think he said. I have no idea how he got to them all, but it was clear he was running on reserves. That cannot be healthy or safe.

I know that costs are everything, but if VM, or their subcontractors can't treat their staff with respect then ultimately customer service will drop and costs too will rise. Indeed my guy was very much looking forward to getting out in a couple of months time. Can staff of that calibre really afford to be lost?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote