View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 16:51   #465
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Interesting article in the FT about what kind of trade the country wants after we leave the UK.

Economists for Brexit has been renamed Economists for Free Trade which reflects its beliefs of no barriers to trade in the UK. The organisation's Patrick Minford wrote last year “Over time . . . it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, but this shouldn’t scare us.”

Quote:
Voters are deeply divided about which of these objectives should be prioritised. Polling by Ipsos Mori found that 45 per cent of Britons thought single market access should be prioritised, while 39 per cent opted for control of immigration.

An important test of the British government’s commitment to free trade will be its willingness to make concessions to strike the deals it wants — including on work visas. India has already made clear it would like more immigration into the UK as part of any new deal.

Other countries are likely to make similar demands, but for an electorate with concerns about immigration, admitting more migrants is hardly a foregone conclusion.
To read the article, google Brexit campaigners shift focus to global free trade or subscribers can visit https://www.ft.com/content/f2a07810-...8-3700c5664d30

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That's a blinkered way of putting it. The EU is failing Andrew, it consists of countries that are not paying their fair share, some of them have required bail out after bail out and it was being said Greece is looking like it will require yet another.

It is not sustainable and the trading block is not worth being part of when it cripples those countries who should be able to trade with who they like, when they like, sorry but I don't want to be part of a corrupted system that dictates like that so I'm glad we leaving that nonsense and we can do what the hell we like, instead of being told what to do by unelected set of pricks.
The EU's imperfect, I'll be the first to admit that. Greece is Greece and it should never have been allowed to join the Eurozone, but that's another matter. But compared to countries like the US which employs the President's son-in-law the EU is a shining beacon of democracy. And I lose track of people who say that the EU can't get anything down as countries need to vote on things, and the next minute complain it's undemocratic and run by bureaucrats whilst forgetting there is a Parliament!
In economic terms, we pay about 0.6% of our GDP and we get back a 10% larger GDP. I'd say that's a good return on investment.