View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 01:54   #5442
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Well, FTP is awkward, there are two modes to FTP, "Passive" and "Active" and they both work a bit differently and work on different ports. Passive (PASV) is better, it allows a lot more connections from the client, but also requires more ports open on the server. Active isn't as good, but usually requires the client to have ports directly forwarded for it to work. I reckon this is probably what's wrong.

We need to figure out why the FTP connection isn't working. Easiest thing to do is load up filezilla on your PC, try to connect to your live drive and either report back any errors you're seeing or measure how fast it's able to download a video file.

We can then use that as a benchmark against KODI. If it works on your PC but not KODI, we know it's just a configuration setting (either on KODI or the shub), if it doesn't then we can figure out from filezilla's logs what is going on.
I'll try that. Thanks.

meanwhile I have been on to Homeworks, tech guys and they have acknowledged my problem. They confirmed the Arris card element of the problem. The operator says he has boosted my power and changed my network route. The result seems to be pretty good. We haven't detected any drop outs for 2 days. This is not to say there haven't been any, just that our service appears unaffected. The re-routing came with an IP change; an IP that doesn't register on a BQM.

Out of frustration earlier that day I rang CS and asked that I try my old SH2 with 300Mb. The operative declined and said that is not possible, however she said that I could use the SH2 if I degraded to 200MB. I leapt at the chance and said, "Go ahead." She then said that I would have to wait 30 days!! I was ready to explode by now.

After expressions of frustrations and dismay the lady and her manager agreed. They dropped my package to 200Mb. They put me through to the technical dept who would help register my SH2. I explained to them why I had been sent, upon which they announced that this was not possible, not for technical reasons, but that because VM do not allow people to go from a SH3 to a SH3. I demanded a manager (almost in tears of anger by now) A manager rang me back.

She explained why I couldn't have an SH2 with 200Mb, and that I had to have a SH3. "VM is 'moving forward, not back," she explained. After a long heated conversation she agreed to put me back 300Mb immediately, very apologetic by now, having realised that CS had let me down big time and caused me unnecessary distress.

Following the restoration of 300Mb I was put through to the techie who boosted my channel power and rerouted me.

I am now approaching the ombudsmen regarding the original problem and the incompetence of some CS staff and of the training system. CS are not fit for purpose.

Last edited by roughbeast; 06-08-2016 at 01:59.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote