View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 02:11   #5431
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Okay, when plugging different devices in when in modem mode, you have to be careful how you do it or you won't get a valid external IP address. You absolutely definitely can't hot swap (i.e. unplug one device and plug another in while the modem is switched on) and even rebooting the modem doesn't always release the previous lease(s). The best way to get around this is to put the hub in modem mode, then power off the hub, unscrew the coax cable, then power the hub back on and wait a few mins (with the coax still removed). After about 2mins, screw the coax back in (With the hub still switched on) and give it another 2 or 3 mins. You should connect and get allocated an external IP. If it hasn't connected after 5mins, reboot once more.

There's a fair bit of ceremony to get that to work, but it's the only sure-fire way I know of to change devices when in modem mode.

You should be able to just disable DHCP on the Asus and stick it in the DMZ, more or less the same result as modem mode, just the superhub is allocating IP addresses (which means you can't assign DNS, IP's, etc. or anything easily). The VPN should work the same.

Note that your external IP address will be different when in router mode and whenever you plug a different device in when in modem mode.
I put the ASUS in DMZ using the IP allocated by the SHUB having disabled DHCP. I am assuming that I connect the ASUS using one of its LAN ports. It appears connected to the SHUB and is still dishing out WiFi. Unfortunately I cannot access the ASUS user interface, whether I connect through ASUS WAN or LAN.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote