View Single Post
Old 21-02-2012, 19:45   #61
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
BINGO! You got it. This is why non-experts like me come to this forum and try to get explained what seems inexplicable, hopefully without being patronised.

So far the explanations I have received haven't answered the key question:

How can TBB base a national survey of comparative ISP speeds on a monitoring tool that limits its devices to a single thread speed test that seems incapable of dealing with congested times of the day?

Indeed with a maximum test speed of 42Mb at one point in a 24 hour period it hasn't managed to deal with low congestion.

Do they take my average TBB result of 27Mb and multiply it up, as has been suggested, by a factor of 4 or do they just conclude that my 100Mb can only manage an average of 27Mb? ( Between 18Mb and 42Mb over 5 tests ) After all, the point of the survey, as I understand, it is to see if ISPs give customers the speed they advertise.

BTW. Sorry about the 16MB. That was a typo. I meant 12MB. I must have been dreaming about the 'Proof of Concept' trial.
There is no speed test that will be able to truly give a single thread test no matter what tiem of the day, no one has unlimited bandwidht or should i say backhual ie line speed intot he server which i suspect is gbit or 10gbit for thinkbroadband with peopel getting faster and faster conention they would ned to match that upgrade in speed but dnt or cant oen of the two

end of the day tbb can measure yoru speed of 100mb on single thread but it has to be when they are suffering congestion no one can get uncongested networks unless they pay for it and that costs millions because oyu need seprerate server runnign on ther eown decicated lines

does that explain it i hope i havent been partonaising
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote