Inactive

apophis is an unknown quantity at this point
asa reprimands virgin from my complaint

enclosed reply from my complaint to the asa

Please Quote: A11-165257/JD

7 October 2011

Dear

VIRGIN MEDIA LTD

Thank you for your patience while we considered your complaint about Virgin Media. Please accept my sincere apologies for the length of time taken to resolve this case. This was due to a delay in establishing whether the media you objected to (static banners that appeared across the bottom of the main menu of the TV electronic programme guide (EPG)) came within our remit as we have not received complaints about this media before. I can now confirm that they do.

We contacted the advertisers and asked them to amend their ad as we felt that the “free installation” claim was likely to mislead, given that they charged £49.95 for activation on the larger 1TB TiVo box and the ad doesn’t specify to which TiVo box the free installation offer applies. The advertisers have now responded to say that these ads have been removed. On this basis we will now close our file. However, because we have alerted the advertisers to the affect that their ad was potentially misleading, we expect future such promotions to take out recommendations on board. Therefore, if you see these ads again in their original form, please let us know.

Thank you once again for your patience. I am sorry that it has taken so long to resolve this case but I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Yours sincerely

Julia Dean
Complaints Executive

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and the Advertising Standards Authority (Broadcast) Ltd will use the information you have given us to deal with your complaint. If your complaint falls under the remit of a different regulatory body, we will normally pass it on to that body. If you are seeking suppression from an advertiser’s database or have not received goods or a refund, we will pass the details of your complaint to the advertiser so it can take action.

We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given us permission to do so. You can register at the 'Keep Me Informed' section of our website for communications you would like to receive from us, and can amend your choices at any time.

We would like you to be available to take part in the ASA’s customer satisfaction research. On our behalf, an independent research company contacts complainants by e-mail. Please let us know if you do NOT want to participate in that research by emailing data.protection@asa.org.uk or writing to Advertising Standards Authority, Freepost LON20659, LONDON, WC1V 6BR.

We will not sell, rent or exchange your details with any other organisation. Our full Privacy Policy can be found at www.asa.org.uk/asa/privacy.
apophis is offline   Reply With Quote