View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 14:23   #349
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You can only really be expected to plan for something that is likely to happen. How often does something on this scale happen?
Yup, as awful as this is we don't and can't have contingency plans which cater fully for every eventuality. This was a massive event which has left hundreds of people homeless simultaneously and it was never going to be possible to house them all quickly and in suitable permanent accommodation in the same local area.

I think a lot of people in politics, the media and the legal profession especially need to stop fanning the flames and reconcile their anger with what happened and sympathy for the victims with the reality that no local authority anywhere would have been able to cope with a disaster of this scale. Frankly I'm astonished that our armed forces weren't called into assist given the role they've played in countless disaster situations around the world but maybe that was a political decision.

The victims too need to be realistic. I've heard several complaining about the lack of information they've been getting and the length of time the forensic investigation is taking. This is despite them being told quite clearly that experts are having to search through tonnes of charred remains on every floor by hand, trying to find even the smallest traces of DNA through which to identify those who've perished. I really don't understand why these residents just can't seem to grasp the huge nature of this task and the precision with which it has to be undertaken if the police are going to be able to identify everyone. I don't see what more anyone could realisitically be doing right now.

Last edited by Osem; 06-07-2017 at 14:26.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote