View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 14:37   #69
tizmeinnit

Re: Marine killer deserves clemency

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Which is exactly what i said in response to your statement of "which intentions" ,i think that answers your question .The IRA had every intention of turning that day into a very bad day for British troops and civilians ,the problem was that the soldiers being on edge,nervous ,scared or whatever opened fire first ,and yes i will defend the actions of the soldiers up to a point ,the same as you seem prepared to defend people fully prepared to blow the crap out of the soldiers

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Marine A is not getting preferential treatment ,he has been court martialled for murder and found guilty .However his sentencing should bear in mind any extenuating circumstances the same as any sentencing in civvy would .War is a unique environment and comparing it to civvy street is ridiculous ,in some cases committing a relatively minor offence like theft will get you hard jail time because you wear a uniform instead of community service or a slap on the wrist because you wear a hoodie,do you think that fair

no but some here want him to

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

I reckon that our forces, for by far the most part, treat their captured enemies with a great deal more respect than the terrorists ever do when the roles are reversed. In an imperfect world, fighting an enemy that will stop at nothing, that's something to be proud of and nothing which was done in N. Ireland or anywhere else alters that.
and the most part doing right does not alter the fact that some including bloody Sunday did wrong

Just to clarify my position here. I do not think what Marine A did was wrong I am all for blowing away all terrorists. My point is I do not think they should be treated differently in law the fact the law is wrong imo is not relevant