View Single Post
Old 15-02-2017, 15:04   #11
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Download speed in Hitron Modem Mode

You can perhaps mitigate by enabling acceleration only for specific hosts, but those hosts are therefore not subject to QoS and can therefore choke out your SIP devices.

Similarly, you can set acceleration only for UDP traffic, but this still risks UDP choking out SIP, as the accelerated traffic bypasses the router's CPU.

You could look to a router that can do 200mbit while still running QoS etc, but this gets expensive. I can tell you a Cisco ASA 5515X can do it, but that's a very expensive option. I route 1GB/sec through NAT with packet inspection and QoS for work with one of these.

I would think that if you rolled your own NAT machine with say, Sophos UTM or PFsense you could hit this sort of throughput with a decent CPU and use QoS etc. When I say decent CPU, any old i5/i7 box should be more than enough, but I wouldn't try using an Atom machine.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote