View Single Post
Old 30-07-2016, 22:37   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

I know it'll never be practical, so will never happen, but I'd love to see B5 in full HD on blu ray.

The ironic thing is that it's the special effects (which were the most futuristic part technologically) that would be likely to hold it back.

Let me explain that. In the 80s and 90s, most mid and high budget US shows were shot on 30mm film. This is why they can release shows like ST:TNG on blu ray and they look noticeably better than the DVD. This included many of the special effects shots, and the lot was transferred to video for editing and release.

The reason the special effects would be a problem? During the 90s, computer graphics at full hd quality were beyond the budgets of any tv show, so they tended to be rendered at standard definition.

I don't what format B5 was shot on, so the above may not apply.

Sorry to see Jerry go though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote