View Single Post
Old 08-03-2015, 10:32   #9365
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Our upstairs lighting circuit failed a while back, and I've been looking for an electrician to repair it. Every electrician who quoted (and several have) said the consumer unit and supply line would also need to be replaced. I expected this as we had an old style fuse box. Several of the electricians said that the supply line to circuit had failed, but due to the age of the circuit (over 30 years), they recommended ripping it out and replacing it. Quotes ranged from £900 to £4,500. The electrician that quoted £4,500 decided (against my wishes) that he was going to quote for replacement of *all* the electrical circuits in the house, including adding an extra lighting circuit to bung a light in the loft (which, to be fair, I did enquire about). Even counting that, my research suggested his quote was on the high side.

Found an electrician that was able to replace the consumer unit and the upstairs lighting circuit for £630, and he did it in 6 hours instead of the eight he told me. So, I am quite happy. I will be replacing the other circuits in the house, but that will be as and when I can afford to do so.
One minor downside to all this work. Obviously the electricity was off for a whie yesterday, and I'd forgotton to set up IP reservations on my new router. This has meant everything has come back online with different IPs, which has messed up a few things..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote