View Single Post
Old 13-04-2012, 10:31   #37
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Your confusion is as a result of your unique place in history. Jimmy-j posted a quote from bible.org a little earlier that sums up orthodox Christian belief on the subject.* This was universally held as a belief until maybe 50 years ago when in many Western countries first the criminal status of homosexual practices and then their social acceptability in general came to be challenged.

Even today, in many countries around the world, you will find no confusion on this issue within the Christian church. The Bible's teaching hasn't changed; what has changed is that some members of some churches in some places have reacted to pressure from society and have shifted their views over the past generation or so.

*albeit lacking context regarding the judicial penalty prescribed at the point in history where the quote arises from - a fuller treatment of the subject requires a little New Testament study as well, but let's not stray too far off the topic.
I agree with that post Chris .Do you not think that this confusion has lead to the departure of religious belief by a lot of people ,simply because they do not know where the Christian church stands on issues of homosexuality ?
By bowing to pressure from society do you not think some parts of the church have abandoned some core beliefs of Christianity essentially invalidating the religion .
Is it right that religions are fluid and move with society ?or should they stick religiously(no pun intended) to their core beliefs.I appreciate that is probably a silly question from westerners point of view but as you say even today in some parts of the world in some religions homosexuality is treated as seriously as murder .

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
This does not help matters - 'the church'. I have no idea to who or what you're referring with that.

I presume you mean Christians?
Yes ,by "the church" i mean the Christian church in general