View Single Post
Old 20-05-2010, 15:22   #93
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Got a phonecall in reply to my email. He got me to do a few tweaks, but they were more for wired which he admitted ( 100mbps Full Duplex ) He also reiterated that 3.0mbps was acceptable for a 50mbps connection at peak times. Also I questioned what is likely to be the end result if I am getting these slow speeds consitently at peak times. He said basically there was nothing he could, and said there is no over utilization on my UBR either.

I also mentioned contention ratio, which I thought was 50:1. Apparently it was much higher thant this! He was quite avoiding and would not give me an exact figure. I said there should be minimum acceptable standards for 50mbps and really 42mbps @ peak should be the bare mininum. While he agreed, he said this was not possible.

I get a feeling I am going to end up asking for a permanent credit on my account or requesting to leave which is a lot of hassle as have to get a BT line installed along with Sky....
The only operator I have known give a minimum guaranteed speed on a 50Mbps service gave a performance range of 25-50Mbps - or after overheads 3-6MB/s.

Their 100Mbps service has a range of 50-100Mbps.

As speeds go up so do fluctuations between peak and and off-peak. That said this isn't your issue, you still have ongoing signal related issues so I'm not sure why you're pursuing the whole peak / off-peak thing. Your issue isn't congestion the guy said as much and it sounds like the conversation got sidetracked onto what is and isn't acceptable.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote