View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29   #228
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: Should Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless Worldwide merge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Also as for O2 in the UK, I think it has come to a dead end for them, especially under the ownership of Telefonica. They won't be able to expand very well considering the size of Everything Everywhere and the capabilities of Virgin Media and BT's networks. And if Vodafone get Cable and Wireless Worldwide, then they are doomed because Vodafone won't have to spend big money anymore as everything will be in house meaning they knock down prices leaving O2 as an expensive alternative.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

But what is the point of launching it and investing when nobody is gonna subscribe?

It is overpriced! End of! Of course they can charge what they like, but don't forget it won't be long before BT catches up with them.

Also knowing that Virgin Media slows people down at peak times, I wouldn't pay that 'premium' some people are paying £37 per month for broadband alone which I think is crazy!

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

No I didn't say that did I?

I'm saying they should focus on what they are doing at the moment, it was because of NTL and Cable and Wireless's being overly ambitious that lead the companies to a big mess.

A lot of people had problems when it was NTL, using the Virgin brand does not resolve that one bit, people still tell me they will never go back to Virgin Media because of a problem they had when it was Cable and wireless and that was over a decade a go! In fact when a residents survey was done on dolphin square, about what it means to them that it is now Virgin Media, most said it is just NTL under the Virgin name which means same old thing!

Let me tell you something about Everything Everywhere, Deutsche Telekom wanted rid of T-Mobile UK and it's UK operations after a few stagnant years, but because nobody wanted to pay the asking price of it, Orange felt that it was falling behind but couldn't find a way of making themselves stronger and wanted to acquire T-Mobile UK but couldn't afford that much, therefore they joined together.
There have been suggestions that O2 should pull out of Germany (where they are half the size of T-Mobile and Vodafone), would you suggest that they should also pull out of the UK (where they are currently the second biggest) as well?

Do you think that Virgin Media is a better company when compared to NTL/Telewest/CWC?

Also there have been rumours that Deutsche Telekom was to sell up on Everything Everywhere, also why did the company keep both names?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote