View Single Post
Old 16-03-2017, 13:28   #41
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

They did relatively well in their own way but overall were destroyed by both the PS1 and PS2 over those two generations, don't think there's an argument to be had there, we all surely owned both and we'll likely all conclude they were two of the best if not the best consoles ever made.

I'd put the game cube down in the Xbox category for that era, the xbox was massively impressive but came too late to dent anyone significant and both released after the PS2 was heavily established by it's first year of sales (The Xbox came even later). The N64 is a cult console for me bundled with classic games that are unforgettable.

At the end of it though, I owned all five of these consoles and I'd love to be back in that era of gaming. The hours spent playing GoldenEye split screen with that Golden gun, the release of San Andreas on the PS2 was monumental.

The Switch will gain that same effect as the Wii come the holiday season, the vastly more expensive upgrades of the PS4 and Xbox One will boost the Switch and as before, this is essentially that new DS too so they're playing two markets here. I don't own a Wii U either so getting a Mario Kart port is a non issue for me.

As above though, the amount sold doesn't always mean a better all round system. Frankly there's been plenty of truly awesome gaming systems. The Genesis/Megadrive (II), NES, SNES, Xbox, PS1/2, Xbox 360, N64, Gamecube. They all had different reasons for being great systems too, although exclusives were a telling factor in all of those it becomes heavily exclusive based as we move into the 360/PS3 and upwards.

Why did the PS1/2 easily smash 100+ million? Gotta take everything into consideration here and just say it, Game piracy boosted the sales of both Sony consoles. It's still a factor today, it isn't as big but it's a part of decision making when it comes to consoles. The DS didn't just sell well because it was handheld, it also sold because R4 cards exist for the device. Especially parents buying said devices for the younger generation that lack the interest of online play. (Self DRM came with Xbox live essentially) If you wanted to play online you had little other choice than to legitimately purchase the game.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 16-03-2017 at 13:41.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote