View Single Post
Old 15-03-2017, 22:59   #39
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Nintendo Switch(NX) - release date 3rd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Anyone got one?

Still just waiting till more games appear, but it's still on my list as a buy. I don't like Zelda for those wondering why I haven't just upped and got one already. Never have. Love anything Mario though.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

By the end of it's lifespan it'll have outsold the PS4 and Xbox One, the price will continue to drop significantly and with both Microsoft and Sony pushing 'Elite' consoles or upgrades as they're calling them for ridiculous prices, Nintendo will actually be undercutting both. As said earlier, this will just continue to drop in price. There will be a massive drop off when both the PS4 pro and Xbox Scorpio go head to head at which point the cheaper Nintendo Switch will gain massive figures over the other two.

Right now, it's PS4/Xbox One/Wii U, in which the PS4 leads significantly. Both will see a drop off when the upgraded versions start competing and become the premium consoles.

It'll be Nintendo Switch/PS4pro/Scorpio from December onwards. That's where the switch will start outselling the other two significantly.

It was expected to ship 5 million by December, it's currently averaging close to double that amid massive sell outs world wide, not to say it'd still sell more than the expected amount though. That's with it's very limited titles, expect that to spike again when Mario Kart bundles drop.

I don't disagree about the price, I just think this will drop like the Wii did and constantly undercut the other two on it's way to being the underdog winner.
The Wii sold well because of three things. It was cheaper than the Xbox 360 and PS3. It had the Nintendo IPs (Mario, Zelda etc) and it had a novel controller. This attracted a lot of buyers who previously wouldn't have gone near a console. Remember all the hype about the Wiimote? Stories like hospitals using it as part of Physiotherapy? All of a sudden, people could justify a couple of hundred quid on a console because it would help them get fit.

The problem with going for that market is that for future generations of the console, you have to persuade them to upgrade. They aren't gamers. They aren't interested in having the most powerful console or the best graphics. As long as they can play their games, they are happy.

Nintendo made the mistake of assuming that the Wii sold well purely because it's unique controller and games, so they tried to build on that controller. The DS was successful so they thought the Dual Screen thing was working. So, they thought "Why not give the Wii Mote a screen?".

The problem is the Wii U controller added a massive cost to the console, when Sony and Microsoft could include most of it's functionality in a Tablet or Phone app for a fraction of the cost. This has severely hampered Nintendo's ability to lower the price of the Wii U (which, frankly, they needed to).

Nintendo actually don't have a great record when it comes to selling home (ie non portable) consoles. They've released a lot, but the only ones that really did well are the NES, the SNES and Wii. I think financially, they've been using their pocket console sales to subsidise the rest of the company.

I actually think the Switch can succeed. It seems a good console, but I think they need to drop the prices now. It's more expensive than either the PS4 or XBox one, but does not have anywhere near the number of titles either had at launch, and the mobile gaming market is nowhere near as big as it was.

What makes me sad about this is I think Nintendo need it to succeed (why else would they have rushed out the Mini NES and Mini Famicom just before Christmas if not to give themselves a quick boost of cash), and I am not sure it will.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote