View Single Post
Old 29-04-2011, 17:28   #40
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
With due respect, your situation is a little different to Sony's. The sites you run probably have little interest for hackers. When they hack Sony, not only do they get the prestige (amongst the hacker networks) of hacking a major corporation, but there is also the draw that they can potentially access tens of millions of credit card details.

In short, if you ignore a hacker, he or she will probably go away. If Sony does, word will get round and it'll actually attract more hackers.
I have had a lot of attention in the past, a network I ran was subject to over 30gigabit DDOS that lasted for weeks and got press attention, the guy eventually went on the run from the FBI as well as I wasnt the only victim. He is now in jail.

Anyone big or small can be a victim.

I have also been subject to other attacks although much weaker and managed to persuade those attackers to stop.

It was the co-operation of above.net and a couple of other upstream providers who were willing to filter out the traffic based on data I passed on that allowed me and my colleagues to keep services online during the large attack. They all did this at no cost surprisingly so was very nice of them, as the amount of traffic filtered must have ran into 100's of terabytes. Although we could have kept services online without filtering the costs wouldnt have been viable. Someone on our behalf one of our users retalliated as well against the dns servers controlling his botnets as he had a weakpoint, this also gave us about 2 days reprieve whilst he rerouted his dns. Apparently it was the first time someone had managed to kill his botnet and the attacks were short after he recovered and moved onto another target, but by then it was too late for him and we knew his address.

The same rules applies to anyone or company really and that is dont think you invincable in the online world and be careful of who you upset.

as an added note the sites were not web sites and were direct competition to the attacker.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote