View Single Post
Old 30-12-2008, 13:04   #1
rinstiah
Inactive

rinstiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem getting internet connection between VM Modem and Netgear WGR614V9

Hi There,
Im having some problems with getting internet to work through my WGR614V router. If I connect the modem directly to the PC internet works fine. Its if I go via the router that it dosnt work.

With modem directly connected to PC Ethernet, internet works fine: (IPconfig /all dump
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0*-**-**-**-**-**-**
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe**:****:****:****9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 80.1**.***.***(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 December 2008 21:51:18
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 Jan**.***.***
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.122
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.112.39
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If I plug the modem into the WAN port of the router, and then the PCs ethernet into port 1 of the router, Internet will not work.

Internet IP Address
Get Dynamically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address
Get Automatically From ISP 0.0.0.0

Gives orange 'i' light, with no internet connectivity. Can still connect to router. all dynamicly obtained IPs are 0.0.0.0 (if it is even obtaining anything...)

If I change my settings on the router to Use Static IP Address, with the values:
IP Address 80.***.***.***
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP Address 80.***.***.1
The 'i' light goes green. But I still have no access to the internet.

Why is the internet unavailable to the LAN, even though all the lights are green on the router (the 'i' light and the '1' light for port 1.)?

I have turned off modem and router for half an hour, turned on modem and waitied for it to become ready, Turned on Router, waited for it to become ready. PLugged in the modem into the WAN port of the Router. PLugged in the PCs ethernet into port 1 of the router. Still no IPs resolved when looking at the management console 192.168.1.1 (The options set back to obtian IP Automatically on router) and consequently no internet connection.

Same happens when I set the IP settings to static on the router and set them as above.

All the network settings on the PC network are set to obtain IP automatically too.

I've also tried spoofing the MAC of the PC on the router to no avail.

Im sure I can't be the only one having this sort of problem. Its never worked, straight out of the box. I did have my virgin cable set up before getting the router though. Its also a VM 'Branded' router (one they supply)...
I have been setting up computer networks for over 10 years and setting up home internet, dial up, adsl, cable setups for years.
I am stumped.
Help?
rinstiah is offline   Reply With Quote