View Single Post
Old 18-03-2012, 09:45   #11
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: Sunday trading laws to be suspended during Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Sunday trading laws should be ditched completely as the is no logical reason in modern society for such an archaic law to still be in place, it is not as if the majority of people go to church so Sunday should be classed the same as any other day.

We need to realise that nowadays many people work of a Sunday and it should be treated as just another working day, remember that the employees that work of a Sunday still only work a 5 day week the same as everyone else.
I am quite surprised peter as a former trade union rep you take the position you do,if all uk PLC is going to do is commerce 24/7 with families under pressure to work ,work, work what time to actually relax.?

In France they have a much more sensible approach even though it could be argued they are much more secular then us most of the small shops are shut if not all outside of the Major towns and so are the larger shops as people spend time together and have long lunches over a bottle of wine,one of the people i work with has a son living in france and its much less uptight there then in the UK ,and the pace of life is much slower,they do not believe in a work work work society.

I work sundays as i work in the NHS but realise the importance of free time together.