View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 23:30   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: IP Camera Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrpb View Post
what happens to all the other devices connected to the network,my PC, the wife's laptop and several wireless devices
for future reference absolutely nothing. It is the router's job to manage your network and each device on the network (laptop, phones etc) will always request certain information such as ip address, default gateway information etc from the router. You could change the settings on the router to whatever you wanted to and all the devices on your network would receive the same updated information and still be able to communicate with one another and the internet; that is the whole point of a router. It is obviously possible to screw things up and if you assigned static ips on each device then they would now sit on a different subnet and wouldn't see the router but if you leave everything on default settings (which most people do) then that is how things work. The only caveat, which I mentioned above, is that I am not sure if you could do it on the shub if you needed to. The shubs lack many features which any basic router should have and this used to be one of them. Someone else who uses the shub in modem might correct me.

Like I always say, if you want everything to work properly then you need to buy a proper router™

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-07-2016 at 23:34.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote