View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36   #1
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road
What does the V+ box do all night ?

right, after my other half signed us up for an upgrade to Tivo, our V+ box has been moved up to the bedroom. It is driving me do-lally.

Every so often through the night (and possibly the day too) even tho the box is in stand-by, I can hear the hard disk coming up. The box isn't set to record anything, there aren't any special lights showing on the front, it simply runs the hard drive for a few minutes, then it stops. After a random time, it's quite likely to start up again (usually just as I'm dozing off). I know they don't make a hugely loud noise, but in the dark when everything else is quiet, it is quite audible.

Now I know the boxes are supposed to receive software updates overnight, but EVERY night ? and more than once or twice a night ?

I'm thinking of making the point by just disconnecting the power at night time, altho of course then it might not get some sort of important update.

And anyway, I am just intrigued by what it is actually doing - and how much power is it using every 24 hrs?
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote