View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 22:05   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Connecting PS3 to the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman View Post
So how will i go about that, even with a router the modem needs to connected to the router via an ethernet cable right? and then from that into the PS3 and PC
Sounds from your earlier post that you have ADSL (phoneline broadband).

You would need to get a router with a built-in ADSL modem, & use that in place of your current USB modem.

The phoneline would connect to the router-modem, and the PS3 & PC would each connect to the router-modem using ethernet (or wireless if the router has it).

e.g.

Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ modem / wireless router / switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman
Also, i have a ethernet cable slot in my PC where the modem should plug into if it wasn't a USB one and i've tried that all i got was an IP error when i try and plug it into that and the PS3 doesn't reconise it

If you connect the PS3 via the PC, the PC needs to have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) configured & enabled.

You'd then have:

phoneline > modem

modem > PC via USB

PC > PS3 via ethernet

And the PC would have to be on whenever you wanted to use the PS3 online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benweightman
Do those exsist? Where do you buy them?
I don't think it would work in your case.

They are more for turning a PC's USB port into an ethernet port.

I don't think it would work using it to turn an ADSL modem's USB port into an ethernet port.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote