View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07   #6
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: Storage heaters - cost to run?

I used to have them when I lived in Seacroft - in a Council flat. Very expensive to run. I just had the one (of two) running in the living room. I made the mistake of turning them all on. The meter needed water cooling, it was spinning that fast I was on a token meter at the time. I think it used about 50p a night. Also had 6KW immersion heater - also pricey. Anyway, back to the heaters. They would charge overnight - they were all on a seperate circuit, that had a timer (controlled by the electricity supplier). Between midnight and one they would start charging (and emitting heat) and would stop about seven-to-eight in the morning. During this time, the electricity would switch to a cheaper tariff. Economy7 I think it was called. I could control how long the heater charged for, but I always had it set to maximum - for reasons I'm getting on to. Now, during the day, even with the heating turn down (basically a flap control, like Bop says), the heater would be HOT - I accidently burnt stripes into my wrist with it. Just caught it a glancing blow when hanging out the washing. Sizzle Trouble is, the heat would run out around ten on a night, and by eleven it would be heatless. Many a winter I sat watching TV with a hot-water bottle on my feet, wrapped in a blanket. I had a fan heater but it cost too much to run, and due to the size of the room, the heat didn't last once the heater was turned off. Terrible times.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote