View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40   #70
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Where are we all going to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So, no more more benefit payments, that's all Jobcentre employees out of work. The payment of UBI could easily be automated so that's a whole load more DWP employees out of work. UBI would only be taxable for those with a job or savings higher than the allowed amount. So automation as well as putting millions out of work will also cut the jobs of those who would usually deal with them. Cool cost savings there.

I agree with you on immigration and think we should also move onto a points based system where those who are really needed should be allowed in but for set periods depending on age of entry and taxes paid or something along those lines.

I forgot to ask, will UBI be a lesser amount than current benefits considering there will be a huge rise in unemployment due to automation?
Some benefits will still be needed, but the vast majority of income related benefits won't, so you're right in that UBI in itself would result in further job losses. I'm certain that UBI will be automated as more and more traditional benefits are being automated right now.

The actual amount varies between the countries trying it out and has yet to be determined. I personally believe that, in today's terms, we should aim for at least £86, this figure is derived by using the current amount of Jobseekers Allowance for a single person over 25 of £73.10.

The Government has frozen this since 2010; updated for inflation it would be about £86 and prevent anyone going below the poverty line (not including housing costs).

Suggestions have been made to make it cheaper by making it age related eg not payable to those under 21 or 25 and/or making it start out at a lower rate for young people and steadily increasing it as a person gets older.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote