View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 19:04   #2311
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
C'mon, Harry, are we really going back to the Sky Atlantic debate, which is so last year! I have already given an explanation for what I said before, which was based on several reports which turned out not to have led anywhere in the end.

As for your last comment, see the link below. There's more where this came from but I think we should leave it there. I accept that you may disagree, but we don't need to resort to pedantry just because we have different views. I've read far more controversial and outrageous remarks on these forums than this, and they haven't been asked repeatedly to come up with facts and figures to justify their view. After all, this is a discussion forum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-scrapped.html

One last thing to press the point. You have stated previously that Netflix will eventually carry adverts. However, your view goes directly against what Netflix have said, but you haven't produced good evidence to justify your view. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting you to now start researching this to prove yourself right (although I suspect you will have some difficulty with that), I simply accept that this is your view.

I hope that clears it up, but anyway, let's move on.

[COLOR="Silver"]
Bless ya OB, I think you have crossed the streams with who are having discussions with..

With regards the Telegraph article (over a year old) it also highlights the BBC say more people support the license fee than before. But, lets ignore that article and try and find a more recent one to back up statement about the large amounts of anger towards the license fee. I don't go to work, the pub or the gym and see groups of people, irritated and red-faced talking about the rip-off that is the license fee.

With regards Netflix, yup, I do believe they will bring ad's to the service, and you are right, I can't produce much to back up my thoughts. Their owner said they were testing for ad's sometime ago and there was outrage. A couple of days later the CEO had to release a statement (backtrack) saying they would only advertise their own shows. Also, look at the price increases that have happened recently. Next year nextflix (with HD) is going to cost £2-£3 extra month for it's services. What will it cost in 5 years without ad's? Theone has also highlighted that HULU have an "ad-free" service, even though they run one ad through the show. Sky on-demand show ads, you have stated all4 have started running the odd ad. In the long term, no commercial business will be able to turn down the option to keep costs down through adverts.