View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 19:19   #811
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Given there are 17 of them there in Leicester's own hub site now, 4 of which are Motorola BSRs VM must have been pretty busy getting the other 16 onto the network in such a short time, and of course there is also the minor issue that Leicester is served by more than one hub site, so VM must've done something pretty special and made Leicester pretty unique for a city served by Leicester and Northfields (which has 12 VXRs and 2x10k) to all be hooked to a single uBR.

I must admit I struggle to see exactly why VM would put 2 Motorola BSRs into my hub with its 4 VXRs, one of which was only half full, and only use 1 for a site with 13 VXRs.

If space were a problem they'd either wait until more space was available or do a displacement build, swapping VXRs for BSRs directly.

That was well worth clicking the 'View Post' button for.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
I cannot remember exactly where i got the info of one UBR from, but it was mentioned in the leics LE3 thread on here which you took part in. However as that thread is so long I dont have the motivation now to dig through it looking for specifics. I never did say my info was right tho just based on what I had previously been told.

One thing I do remember is when I questioned if one ubr is not enough for a city, you did reply saying there was nothing unusual about it and we had that discussion about the population of the city and the takeup levels.

Whether or not this was a misunderstanding or just to mislead me so you can correct me later on I will never know but that thread is where it was previously discussed.

In regards to the other hub site I havent seen any city of leics properties using it although I was already aware of it serving part of leicestershire.

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
The obvious question to this is if VM are ok sharing one set of downstream channels to multiple nodes, why do they feel the need to split off the upstreams isolating the 2 nodes from each other on the upstreams?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote