View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 09:29   #6
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Connecting keeps dropping, IP address going to 169.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floop1977
When things go wrong and I get the 169.x.x.x IP address, usually the cable modem status light blinks orange repeatedly. In my mind, this suggests that the cable modem is having difficulty handshaking/maintaining a connection with NTLs servers.
Quite right: a blinking orange light can only be caused by an NTL cable signal problem, and cannot possibly be caused by any problem with your Mac. The NTL techie was wrong about the 192 address because I believe the 3Com modem does not support that feature. You should report this to NTL Tech Support as a problem with the NTL line, stressing the blinking orange LED and make sure they understand which model of modem you have (otherwise they might assume the Ambit).
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote