View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 00:15   #2596
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If you haven't got a 4k TV, rarely need more than 3 tuners and the space on Tivo is enough, is there much point in 'upgrading' to the V6?
I would think so. I was lucky enough to get one for free so why wouldn't I upgrade. So worth a quick review.

My installation didn't go smoothly as I had trouble going through a Yamaha AV, and got the message about HDCP 2.2, but that was soon rectified the day after.

The box is butt ugly, very small, but now at least I can have my Harmony Hub next to it instead of being on top of the old Tivo. The front light is a bit bright but nothing a bit of tape won't fix.

The first thing you will notice is the speed of it, everything is so much quicker, no lag when going through the menus and guides etc. Things like iPlayer and Netflix load up really quick and now have a proper use for such things. I will still use Chromecast for such things personally anyway.

The remote is smaller but feels sturdy, feels better to hold, and the buttons have a satisfying click when used. Not having to aim it at the box is handy too.

Some say they'll never use its 6 tuners, and that is probably true for most, but the big feature of this is that you don't have to worry about any overlaps or clashing with any series links you might have. You can just record what you want without worrying about it and no need to use the +1 channels anymore.

The TV anywhere app for IOS is much better now, being able to watch things that you've recorded on the iPad is a godsend for us.

As for 1TB being enough space, I disagree, you can never have enough space especially if you record a lot in HD.

So compared to the original Tivo, it is much more of a joy to use all round which is the key thing really. I would have gladly paid for the upgrade if I had to.

That's my 2 cents anyway. I hope it's of some use to anyone.