View Single Post
Old 13-07-2008, 08:13   #12
aardvark
Inactive

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
I've just had a fascinating conversation with 3 different people on 'The Team' who've told me that, despite what it says on the virginmobile website, if I divert all my calls to voicemail (before I go) I will be charged every time someone leaves a message on my voicemail while I'm abroad.

I understand that calling my voicemail from overseas will incur a charge BUT surely what they've told me can't be correct.

Even if my phone is switched off while I'm out of the country 'the system will know where you are' and I'll be charged for every voicemail left.
In this particular instance, Voicemail is not a 'scam' but an essential means of controlling the cost of using my phone. If I'm abroad without all calls diverted to voicemail or with voicemail switched off, I'm charged for every call I receive when my phone's switched on.

If I divert all calls to voicemail before I leave, I can control what I pay - I can choose to (or not to) access my voicemail box and to return peoples calls if I wish. If I choose not to, I should not be charged anything.

The information that 'The Team' appears to be giving seems to be taking away control from the user by removing the option to control costs and actively encouraging people to either leave their phone at home or to take calls, at great expense, while they're abroad. This, if anything, is the scam!
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote