View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 22:11   #11
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Not sure how it is a scam -I don't get charged to listen to the voicemail, and most times it's my decision not to listen to the incoming message.
The person calling you is charge as soon as they hit voicemail.

This is why landline providers offered 1571 free, they now instead of getting nothing when hitting a busy tone or not answered they get revenue. Same with mobile phone operators, instead of the caller hearing a busy tone, currently unavailable message, switched off message and not being charged, they get voicemail and get charged, now with many people simply not bothering to listen to their voicemail message as you say it's your choice to listen to them (I don't get charged to listen if I had it enabled) you may have to try several times and instead of it previously costing you nothing to keep trying it's costing 6 - 15p a pop. The telco you use to make the call earns a cut from the charge, the network the phone is on receives a cut.

Voicemail / 1571 is for the benefit of the telco, not the customer. A money making scam.

I am considerate to my callers and don't have voicemail as it is unfair to expect them to be charged for not been able to get hold of me.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote