View Single Post
Old 19-05-2017, 21:39   #589
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It will be the younger generation who'll suffer either way. The alternative to this plan would have been to raise tax/NI on people in work to pay for the shortfall of those who've retired, just after those who've retired were recipients of a triple-lock pension during a time of austerity for everyone else.

Now I still prefer that. I think there is a better argument for increasing spending on social care than there was for the triple-lock but you can see why that approach might have been seen as a unfair path to take.
Yes, except for the fact that some will suffer disproportionately through no fault of their own whereas the burden could have been spread. I feel the tax option would be a much fairer way of achieving the same end, relatively painlessly.

It's measures such as this which will put off people from saving and lead to those with money/assets to spend it.

Last edited by Osem; 19-05-2017 at 21:45.