View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017, 21:36   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Business Broadband Static IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
Hi ccarmock, after a long wait, we are having a Hitron installed on Monday with the 5 IP address option. We intend to use it with our main router on one fixed IP address.

Do you have any tips for the setup of the router, e.g. MTU size and any specific firewall settings.

In the past when we changed to the 50 Mb service we had to reduce the MTU size to match the tunnelingprotocol they use and change the firewall to let some specific packets go out otherwise the connection was dropped.

Any help will be gratefully received!
I have my router (Draytek 2960) with an MTU of 1462 and seem to be fine with that. I have a few router to router IPSEC tunnels built too.

There are no specific firewall rules to set on the Hitron - it just works with the default settings for me. I use my own router for the inbound firewall rules, and have a few ports open for devices behind the Draytek.

An advantage of using a Draytek is it's a router that will support secondary IP addresses on it's WAN interface - Draytek call it Multi-NAT, so you can make use of the other fixed IP addresses in your block.

You will see that when in fixed IP routed subnet mode the Hitron will disable it's own WiFi and NAT will be disabled on it, so you will need to provide this on your own router etc behind as required.

Recently the firmware of the Hitron has been updated, so when yours is installed suggest you verify it's on the latest 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC.

I think I remember you posted about the issues you suffered with the Netgear based SH1 dropping the L2TP tunnel used for the fixed IP option, and lockups? I haven't had any stability issues with the Hitron at all.

Obviously performance is governed by the VM network in your area, but so far I get close to 360 MB/s download. Upload still often falls short of the 20 Mb/s - often topping out at about 14 Mb/s.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote