View Single Post
Old 17-05-2017, 10:14   #1
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Business Broadband Static IP

Currently I have 150meg Virgin Media Business Broadband with a dynamic IP at our office, I "upgraded" to this after all the issues with the original Suberhub on the 50meg service crashing after a few hours with a the 5x static IP's.

Currently the SuperHub 2 (VMDG490) is configured in modem mode with a pfSense box doing the routing for various VLAN's on our network.

I now see Virgin Media are offering static IP's again on some new tiers, however i'm not sure if its worth switching over to this based on customers experiences on the VM forums.

From what I gather we would be given the Hitron router, however if you put the Hitron router in modem mode you can't use your static IP addresses, the Hitron has to do a GRE tunnel for your static IP's wich people are apparently finding unreliable. pfSense would not be able to do the GRE tunnel i'm lead to believe.

Someone also seems to mention the SuperHub 2 can do a single static IP and modem mode on the 150mb plan (mentioned here), which to be honest would be perfect if true. All we really need it for is for people to VPN / RDP in to the office, the 20meg upload would be a bonus, however not essential.

Our SuperHub 2 is rock solid and the dynamic ip has only changed once in the last couple of years. I've setup a script which update's a DNS record with our new IP if it happens to change again. I guess i'd just feel better knowing we actually had a static ip, however based on past experiences with VM i'm thinking it might be better not to fix something which ain't broken.

I guess what i'm asking is can I get a single static IP from Virgin Media and keep using modem mode as I currently do?
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote