View Single Post
Old 25-12-2016, 13:25   #1022
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Satellite lends itself well as a TV distribution platform when you need a huge amount of bandwith over a huge area (such as UHD TV feeds).

As more and more use of streaming TV occurs, owners of coaxial and fibre networks have two huge advantages over satellite and those are bandwith-per-unit-area (in both directions) and latency.

It's interesting to see how satellite became the dominant means for distribution of direct to home pay TV signals - and how that will change again as more and more fibre is planted in the ground and viewing becomes more personalized. Mobile bandwith also lends itself better to streaming single TV channels per user when compared with fixed blocks of UHF spectrum over a wide area. Satellite may again revert to being used mainly for feeds while land-based optical networks become the new norm for multichannel TV.
Yes, I agree. Sky has appeared reluctant to embrace on demand programming until relatively recently, although I accept that this was largely for technical reasons. There is already evidence that Sky is looking to the future and embracing on demand (the advent of Now TV is one example of this).

It will be interesting to watch how Sky monetises its extended on demand offering, because without the revenue from the copious amount of advertising it puts out on its Sky channels, it is going to have to fill the gap somehow in the longer term when the broadcast channels start to disappear. I don't think unskippable ads or pay per view programming would be an acceptable way forward as it would not appeal to most thinking people who have alternative means of accessing content. I guess on demand packages with subscriptions and maybe more collaboration with other providers for additional content may be the solution.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote