View Single Post
Old 27-02-2015, 16:43   #159
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Chris, you may wish to take a look at this, which appears to support my view in respect of linear channels.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/cable-sa...evision/224350
That article is based on what Netflix, a company arguably with a vested interest in ensuring that broadcast television ends, is saying..
Quote:

I do, however, agree with the point you make about quality of programming and your comparison with the United States. But whether this justifies making everyone pay for something they don't want, that is debatable.

I also agree that many people won't like a move to subscription tv, but there is no reason why they need to pay any more than they do now for the licence fee if this is abolished.
Actually, I sort of agree with you. Regarding the value of the BBC, they do contribute a massive amount to the education of the country whether it is making programmes and websites to educate people or even running training courses to educate people hoping to enter the media industries.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The broadcaster should generate income from advertising rather than relying on taxes or higher licence fee funds, the findings suggest.
It's likely that a lot of the commercial channels (possibly including ITV) will fold if this happens.

My proof? Simple economics. Supply Vs Demand. Advertising budgets are finite, and already stretched. As such, if supply goes up (as it would massively if the BBC started advertising), the price of space on the air would plummet marketwide. This would threaten commercial TV.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote