View Single Post
Old 15-02-2015, 14:51   #127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
What services do you think people can get for £12/pm?

And, don't forget, those without broadband will have to use some of that £12 to pay for broadband and they will have to pay for BBC radio and TV shows that they want to watch. Are you planning for that to be 'pay for each show' or a subscription to the BBC as a whole? Because the latter will wipe out a good chunk (if not all) of that £12, and paying per show works out really expensive.

As the American's say, have you done 'The math'?
I'm projecting about 20 or so years into the future, Passingbat. Things will look different by then.

By the way, Netflix is only £6.99 per month, and look at the content on there.

I take your point that not everyone has broadband at present, and indeed there are many who cannot get it even if they want it because of where they live. However, I remember when neither we nor most of our friends had a telephone. Now just about everyone does. I think life without broadband will ultimately be unthinkable, even for those who cannot comprehend this digital revolution at the present time. Don't forget that those in their fifties now will be in their seventies in twenty years, so fewer people than ever will be confused by the digital services available.

As far as your question is concerned, it really isn't up to me, is it? As I said earlier, ITV are already revamping their model to recognise that it is no longer wise to rely on advertising income alone, although this will always be a part of the solution.

I don't see any substitute offer from the BBC being pay per view - I think it will be subscription based, although maybe they will offer some premium stuff on a PPV basis.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote