View Single Post
Old 15-02-2015, 14:06   #123
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Old Boy, I am sorry but I dropping out of this discussion. You appear to be disregarding very logical points (made mainly by others) and changing your ideas every time the points are made.

The license fee is in no way extortionate and (in my eyes) provides fantastic value for money. Just because a few people on here don't like it, does not make it wrong.

With regards to freeview, all that article says to me is that have finally caught up with all the other STB boxes out there by offering. This part of the statement seems to suggest they have no plans to do any of the things you think they will have to do, they are simply offering a catch up service, and still offer it subscription free.

Guy North, managing director of Freeview, said: “Freeview has been built on a vision to make television available to all free from subscription. In the same way that we took the UK from analogue to digital, Freeview Play is the next step in that vision and will put the viewer in control.

“We want to keep television fair and open for everyone. That means giving consumers the freedom to choose the TV they want, the way they want it.”

I could carry on, but I simply have lost the will with this discussion. People are still buying newspapers in a big way (come put the supplements in them at 6 am on a saturday morning to see how popular they still are), and they are still partly ad funded.

I have enjoyed this greatly, but I simply can not carry this on any more. You are right, things will change a little bit, but I think you are wrong about how much and how quickly things will change. Things work far too well now for things to change too much.

I welcome you response, but alas, I am out.
I'm sorry you are leaving this discussion, Harry, your contribution has been most welcome.

However, you say I've ignored some important points that others have made; I wasn't aware that I had done that. I do take your points that many people are satisfied with paying the TV licence and lots of people are still buying newspapers, etc.

However, the Government will be reviewing the licence fee in the near future, and there is a lot of speculation that it will be either reduced or abolished. Whatever we personally feel about it, the TV licence fee may be coming to the end of its days. Maybe it will get one final reprieve by the next Government, but I think they will have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

Printed newspapers, like it or not, are becoming increasingly difficult to justify when you look at the declining readership. I believe that most young people these days get their current affairs information on line, rather than through printed newspapers, and I think you will find that all the newspaper titles are preparing for a digital future. They will have to find innovative ways just to maintain existing levels of income, given that most of it comes from advertising.

The changes that are happening right now, such as the Freeview article explained, may seem innocent enough, but you have to face facts. More and more people are choosing to make use of on demand and streaming services and Freeview have just made this easier. There will come a point when on demand viewing is what most people do most of the time. Why would advertisers want to continue to put their money into advertisements on linear channels when an increasing majority of viewers are no longer viewing that way?

I don't think there is only one route to how we are going to get from where we are now to where we will end up, and I don't apologise for having different ideas on what may happen. The scenarios I have painted are often the result of particular questions that people have asked.

Obviously, I cannot foresee the future with any accuracy at all - nobody can - but when you look at what is happening all around you, some trends lead you to inevitable conclusions.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Many talk about on-line access as the way forward but what about those watching who are not on-line, they are in a caravan or tent with a small TV and a FreeView box? Maybe it's not many compared to the population of the UK but they still count.
Just as you can get access to the internet through your mobile phone, you will be able to stream videos while out in your caravan without thinking much of it in twenty year's time.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Of course they are; their heart lies with Rupert. They represent the people for whom Pay TV is an insignificant cost.
But we are paying for our TV now, Passingbat. If the licence fee is abolished, people can choose from other subscription offers that might be more relevant to their tastes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote