View Single Post
Old 17-08-2005, 17:46   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Sky+ - to be FREE??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae
You can do that with Sky+ for Box Office movies.
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie. What percentage of the Sky userbase is Sky+? A minority I imagine (though probably the majority of Sky users on forums such as this). Sky can only do this when a £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ box is installed in the users house, and then only on the screen that box is attached too, Sky multiroom does not allow you this functionality on the second box VOD allows it on all boxes.

As I have said complimentary technology.

The other thing to consider is in this multichannel world the need to record is dramatically diminished due to regular rerun. I missed Lost on Wednesday eve, instead of being annoyed about it, it was a case of establishing when on C4/E4 it was next shown, this was Sat PM, Sun PM (second chance sunday) and then again straight after - I think Lost played for about 8 hrs continuously from 8pm on E4 2nd Chance Sunday last week.

VOD has other benefits, if I have a screaming 2yr old on my hands who wants to watch Balamory right now, I can tell him to get stuffed as thats not on the telly (the right answer) or playback from VOD, for the PVRed user they would have to have had the foresight to record it (and of course find their 2 yr old wants to watch Spongebob instead).

I've used the SA8000 PVR box on the Time Warner cable system in the US and when that or similar alongside VOD is rolled out cable will certainly be a superior product to Sky.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote